How’s it goin? Did you have fun celebrating the mother’s in your life? I hope so! My husband was calling it my “0th Mother’s Day” because he thought we should celebrate a little, but that the real celebration should be next year when the little man is here! I had a great day enjoying the sun and soaking up a little mom-to-be love.
Speaking of love, I am in LOVE with this salad. Once spring really starts hanging around salads are one of the things that sound best to me. I could pretty much eat one for dinner every night – as long as it was as flavorful as this one that is! Michael on the other hand, does not believe in salad as a main course for dinner in most cases, but with a little clever maneuvering (aka the addition of flank steak!), he was totally happy and satisfied with this one.
Cilantro is one of my favorite flavors, which could be a reason I loved this salad so much. The cilantro is basically like an additional green, not just a garnish, so there is a ton of fresh cilantro flavor. I have to give my husband credit for another great addition to this salad – as I was mixing things up he said, “You know what would be great in there? Some peanuts.” And wow was he right! The texture and flavor added by the simple addition of a handful or two of peanuts is awesome. You could use any nut you have on hand, but I like peanuts because they go with the Asian flavors already in the salad.
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (or more) low sodium peanuts
- Combine lime juice, water, peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add lettuce, cilantro, cabbage, and green onions; toss to coat. Add mango and peanuts.
- Serve alone or with grilled flank steak (or meat of your choice!)