I made this recipe a couple days ago and I was so delicious I was telling everyone about it. When I told my dad about this flavorful, hearty, soup, he told me, “You know, I think you should change the name of your blog to Tara’s Kale Blog!” Hahaha Ok Dad, so maybe I love kale. Maybe I eat it all the time and can’t get enough…maybe I put it in everything from soups to salads to smoothies…but come on, that name has absolutely no ring to it
If this was “Tara’s Kale Blog” I would tell you how a couple years ago my husband hated kale. How I had to hide it, disguise it, and dress it up for him to eat it. I’d also tell you how now, he eats it all the time and said while eating this soup, “the kale in here is so great, it adds so much flavor!” But it’s not Tara’s Kale Blog…so I won’t.
This soup has all the makings of a comforting fall supper. It’s packed with lots of good-for-you vitamins and nutrients and it’ll keep you full well past dessert time.
Active work time on this soup is really low. Chop and saute the vegetables over medium low heat until translucent. Then add the herbs: rosemary and thyme. I just threw a whole thyme bunch in and let it cook till the leaves fall off. Just don’t forget to fish out the twigs before you serve, no one wants a branch in their soup!
Add the chicken stock, lentils, sausage. When you are almost ready to serve, stir in the kale. Lots and lots of kale. You are thinking 10-15 cups?? Are you crazy!? Nope. Guys, trust me, the kale cooks down so much you might even end up adding a few extra handfulls like I did!
I made a huge batch of this soup and froze half to have ready for a quick weeknight meal. It’ll freeze well on plastic containers, or in a big ziplock bag!
Recipe: Lentil Soup with Sausage and Kale
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 large sprig thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 4 cups green lentils
- 10-15 cups loosely packed baby kale
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 chicken sausage links, sliced
- olive oil
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pot, heat over medium low heat.
- Add celery, carrots, leeks, onion, and garlic. Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent (but not brown).
- Add herbs and chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Add lentils and sausage reduce heat, simmer partially covered, about 40 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Add kale and cook until kale is reduced and tender.