Guys, I have so much to share with you! Last weekend Michael and I went to Las Vegas! It was one of the most fun weekends I’ve had in awhile and I am so excited to tell you about our travels, all the fun we had, and the food! OH THE FOOD! One particular meal may have changed my life. Just sayin’.
But first…It’s Thanksgiving week! Yipee! I love Thanksgiving. Who doesn’t? A holiday centered on food? Sign me up. One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the variety of food you get to eat. And it’s not just dinner, oh no, there are appetizers too. And if you are in the need for a Thanksgiving appetizer that will knock your socks off, look no further.
Jalapeño Corn Dog Mini Muffins.
You’ve got all the things you love about a corn dog (don’t lie, you know you do) packaged up in a perfectly pop-able bite. Just for good measure add a kick of jalapeño and you’ve got a crowd pleasing app that will keep everyone around the coffee table and outta your hair in the kitchen. Just make sure you keep a few in there for yourself!
This recipe starts with a pretty basic corn muffin recipe. Mix it up and all you need are a couple “embellishments.”
The only trick to making these super simple muffins is filling the muffin tins. You need to grease the pan really well, then add a little bit of batter to the bottom, then drop in the hot dog, then fill the batter up the rest of the way. As an alternative, you could chop the hot dogs up into small pieces and stir them into the batter with the jalapeños. I’m sure it would taste delicious, but I like having the hunk-oh-hot dog in the middle like a Thanksgiving surprise!
Recipe: Jalapeño Corn Dog Mini Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 hot dogs, cut in 1/2″ chunks
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- mini muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine the first 3 ingredients.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add milk mixture; stir just until moist.
- Stir in chopped jalapeño.
- Coat mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Spoon a little batter into the bottom of each well. Add hot dogs. Fill with batter to just below the top.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes then remove from the pan and serve warm with a side of ketchup.
- Note: You may find that the tops crack due to the steam created from the hot dog…don’t worry, they taste just as good!