Have I got the perfect fall meal for you! This scrumptious supper is like wrapping fall up into one amazing fork full. I threw this recipe together last week when I had an overabundance of apples. Whoops, I just can’t say no to all the crisp, sweet, tangy apples from my “apple guys” at the farmer’s market. So when it was already Thursday and I still had several pounds of apples overflowing my fruit bowl, I decided I needed to whip something up.
Apples and pork. No brainer right? Well, I wanted to do something a little bit different. So instead of going sweet with the apples, I left turned to savory. Enter onions.
And fresh thyme. Lots of fresh thyme. Don’t worry apple sauce lovers (I’m currently raising my hand!), the sweetness of the apples is still there, especially because you sauté AND roast them, but there is a whole new depth of flavor when you combine that with the roasted onions and woodsy, lemony thyme. It’s the absolute perfect back drop for your spice rubbed pork chops.
Oh, I didn’t mention the spice rub?
Because the apples and onions are SO flavorful, it might be tempting to diss the pork chops here…don’t! This simple spice rub really enhances the flavor of the pork and brings the whole dish totally over the top.
Toss all the spices together and sprinkle over both sides of the pork. Don’t be shy here! I love pork, but it is kind of like chicken, it need some help from herbs and spices to give it a nice punch of flavor.
Another awesome thing about this meal (besides being ridiculously delicious), is that it is a one-pot-wonder! All you need is a big skillet. Cast iron works really great here. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet I highly highly suggest going out and grabbing one. Like now. They are inexpensive and so versatile. Definitely one of my top 10 kitchen tools.
This is a great meal for guests too because you start it in the pan and finish it in the oven. Who doesn’t like to have 20 minutes to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. Side note, you don’t have to have guests over during this meal to do this, as was proven by me and my husband last Thursday!
You guys have got to give this meal a try. It is one of our new favorites, in fact, we loved it so much I have made it twice in one week! That’t when you know it’s good!
Recipe: Pork chops with roasted apples and onions
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 4 medium apples (I used red and golden delicious but you can use any kind you like!), chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- For spice rub
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large, oven safe skillet (I like cast iron) heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat
- Mix spice rub and sprinkle over pork chops liberally
- When oil it heated, sear pork chops until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add butter and remaining olive oil. Add chopped onions and apples.
- Sautee over medium heat until the apples just begin to get soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add fresh thyme, stir.
- Place pork back into the skillet with the apples and onions, roast in the oven about 20 minutes, until pork reads around 150 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- *note: spice rub can easily be made in bigger batches and stored for later use