You know you’ve found something great when you’re still thinking about a meal you had several days later. That is what this salad’s been doing to me for the past few days! I am going to just have to make it again so I stop dreaming about it!
One of my favorite things about my weekly trip to the farmer’s market is that you get to see the seasons change through food. Living in California, I am pretty lucky that I get really great variety all year long, but even here, the winds of change are bringing fall around and everything that comes with is! This week was the first week we had apples at the farmer’s market! Since I am from Washington-apple loving is in my blood. I bought a couple ponds of honey crisp apples and ate one as I was walking around the market. It was so crisp, sweet, and tart and I went back to the stand and bought a few more pounds. I just knew the amount I first bought wouldn’t last me through the week!
But enough about apples. Let’s talk nectarines.
My favorite stone fruit stand had several signs up this week letting us all know that the days for peaches, nectarines, pluots, and all the other goodies are numbered. So, I am taking full advantage while I still can. Seriously, I could pretty much start my own farm stand with all the fruit currently on my kitchen counter!
I’ve wanted to create this salad ever since I had grilled nectarines with goat cheese at my friend Elise’s house a few weeks ago. She simply grilled the nectarine halves and then slathered them with goat cheese. It was one of the best appetizers I’ve ever had! And so simple! The grilling brings so much flavor out of the nectarines, it’s like you’ve roasted them for an hour in the oven.
Then, add in the creamy goat cheese and get ready for your mind to be blown. Usually, I like textural differences as much as the next gal, but there is something about the warm, gooey nectarine flesh paired with the super creamy goat cheese. They melt together to form this rich, decadent, sweet, tangy, bite of perfection. throw in some arugula for spice and lemon juice for tartness and tang and you’ve got a salad you’ll be dreaming about too.
- 1 7oz bag of arugula
- 4 nectarines (preferably a tad bit underripe to stand up to grilling)
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for coating nectarines
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Slice nectarines in about 1″ wide slices. Place slices in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Grill nectarines over medium high heat about 3-4 minutes per side, until grill marks appear. Grill on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Toss arugula with 2 tablespoons evoo and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between plates. Top with goat cheese. Arrange still-warm grilled nectarine slices on top.