You guys, I have a secret…fall is coming! The mornings are getting cooler, days are shorter, and most importantly, football is here!!!! I love fall. Who doesn’t!? It’s almost time for snuggling in blankets on the couch with a steaming cup of apple cider (whiskey optional!), snacking on a pumpkin flavored baked goodie, reading a good book while rain falls outside. What? That’s not how you spend all your fall days???
Maybe you’re in a place where fall has already hit, or maybe you’re in a place where fall won’t find you for a couple months…either way, this can-be-served-hot-or-cold beet and quinoa salad will be a perfect addition to your weekend meal.
It’s no secret that I love beets. The other day I was at the farmer’s market and found these amazing beets on sale. They were seriously the size of my head! (ok not seriously, but close!). I wanted to try something different with them, and rummaged around in my fridge and garden to find some crunchy celery, fresh mint, and lots and lots, of salty feta.
The beets are roasted and chopped up and tossed with the celery and mint. Then the salad is topped off with a couple cups of fluffy quinoa.
Next, the salad is doused in a simple homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and honey.
Toss everything together and top with
lots tons of feta cheese!
This salad can be served hot, cold, or even at room temperature. It makes a perfect side dish or you could add some roasted chicken to it and make it a main course.
After you’ve finished taking your sweaters out of storage in preparation for fall, and between college football games today, make this delicious beet and quinoa salad. Oh, and don’t forget to have some apple cider ready for that first rainy day
|Beet and Quinoa Salad with Mint and Feta||
- 4 extra large beets (about 6 cups chopped beets)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (one lemon squeezed)
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Trim the beets on both ends. Drizzle the beets with oil and wrap beets in foil. Roast for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel beet skins and chop beets up.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped beets, chopped, celery, and chopped mint. Toss together.
- In a medium pot, combine 1 cup quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Add quinoa to beet mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper. Whisk together. Pour over salad. Toss well to combine.
- Top salad with feta cheese and more torn mint leaves for garnish.
- Salad can be served hot or cold and keeps for about a week in the fridge.