I could barely contain myself with this recipe. IT. IS. AMAZING. I hope your schedule is cleared so you can make these immediately. Cancel, the dinner plans, put your shows on tivo, tell your friends if they want to see you they have to come over…it will be worth it.
I have been eating strawberries like crazy. In fact, even though I had an entire 1/2 flat in my fridge, I couldn’t resist a few more baskets when I saw how gorgeous they looked at the farmer’s market.
You couldn’t say no to these guys either, right?!? Soooo, because I had so many even I (the strawberry monster apparently) couldn’t eat them all so fast, I came up with these cakies.
What’s a cakie you ask?? Well, half cake, half cookie. These are cakes in a cookies clothing. They have the texture of a light fluffy cake in the perfectly snack-able form of a cookie. The absolute best of both worlds!
Another great thing? These cakies are packed with fruit and almonds, making it perfectly acceptable to eat them for breakfast….riiight??
As they bake the strawberries get all roasty and start oozing out of the cakies. It starts to smell pretty amazing in your kitchen right about then. In addition to the almonds in the batter, I sprinkled some on top before baking. They get brown, toasty, and extra nutty as the cakies bake and make for a perfect crunch to contrast the light fluffy texture of the finished product.
Yum. Good thing I have so many strawberries. I might have to make another batch. Right. Now.
Have a wonderful, fruit filled weekend!!
|Strawberry Almond Cakies||
#ratingval# from #reviews# reviews
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- about 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one by one, until thoroughly combined. Add the milk and blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir.
- Add strawberries and almonds, stir gently to combine.
- Scoop 1/4 cup amount of batter onto a lined baking sheet, about 3 inches apart.
- Top with additional slivered almonds.
- Bake cakies for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
- Let cool on the sheet pan then move to a wire rack.