My love affair with farro is currently at an all time high. I am pretty sure my husband is getting jealous. Well not really, he’s just losing his farro-loving mind.
Here is an excerpt from an actual conversation we just had (keep in mind I had just made some ricotta cheese):“Hey, do you think you could make farro with the leftover stuff from the cheese?” “You mean the whey?” “Yeah” “Hmmm, yeah I guess-maybe I could cook the farro in it” “What would that be called?” “I dunno. Farro whey?” “HAHAHAHAHAHA farro whey! Get it? Farrowhey!”
We need to get out more.
Luckily, my love for farro produces more than just awesome jokes. It also produced this delicious salad! Filled with bright, punchy Mediterranean flavors.
Nutty farro, spicy red onion, crunchy bell pepper, bright, acidic lemon, and lots and lots of salty feta. All of the flavors blend so well together. There are two things that tie all these pieces together, though. Really good extra virgin olive oil, and fresh oregano.
I’ve got lots of this growing in my garden right now, so I’ve been looking for ways to use it. Fresh oregano has a really strong flavor, so you don’t need too much. But a little in this dish truly goes a long way. The lemony, just a teeny tiny bit bitter taste combines with the lemon juice and olive oil to create a truly Mediterranean tasting dish.
I’ve been eating a lot of lunches on the go this week, and this salad has been a lifesaver. It is so easy to make, just chop up all the goods and toss together!
It will keep really well in the fridge for about a week. In fact, days 2 and 3 might be even better than day one! It is so much better to make a batch of this, throw it in tupperware and have it ready for the week when I need it than to be out and about, realize it’s 1:30 and I haven’t eaten since 7 and start doing one of a couple of things: 1) digging in my purse/gym bag for probably melted granola bars 2) trying to find the “least bad” fast food option around or 3) deciding I should probably have fro-yo for lunch…and then proceeding to get the biggest fro-yo know to man because, hey, you didn’t eat lunch after all.
So save yourself the embarrassment of getting up to the counter and realizing your 30 cents an ounce frozen yogurt just came to $10.50 and just make this salad.
Then go get fro yo.
- 1 cup dried farro
- 2 colorful bell peppers (I like red and orange)
- ¼ red onion, very finely diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (or more!)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium pot, combine 1 cup dried farro and 2½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook 15-20 minutes. Farro should be tender and water absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add chopped peppers and onion.
- Stir in farro.
- Top with oregano and feta. Toss to combine.
- Season again to taste with salt and pepper.
- *This salad can be served warm or cold (I prefer cold!)