Summer. Al fresco dining. Long evenings. BBQ. BURGERS.
My mom used to trick us into eating new foods by putting them in familiar “packaging.” Having parents that forbid picky eating was one of the best parts of growing up because now there are hardly any foods I “don’t like.” I was also never allowed to say “I don’t like” something-it was always “I don’t care for (blank).” I’m actually still not sure quite what the difference is except one sounds nicer, especially when someone other than your mom made dinner. What’s the point? If you think you don’t like mushrooms try this twist on familiar packaging and see if you still “don’t care for them.” :)
These grilled portobello burgers are so satisfying you won’t even notice you’re going meatless. In fact, the marinated mushrooms are so meaty, if you close your eyes you’d swear you weren’t biting down on just veggies.
And then there’s the flavor…oh, the flavor!
First of all portobello mushrooms alone have a delicious beefy, earthy flavor.
Combine that with the fact that they take a marinade very very well and you get an out of this world flavorful burger.
The combo of balsamic vinegar, herbs, and mustard compliments the natural flavor of the mushroom and makes these burgers so flavorful. No ketchup necessary! (but don’t forget the aioil! we’ll get to that later…)
These burgers grill up super quickly. Top with cheese, avocado, a thick slice of onion, and roasted red bell pepper. Don’t forget to slather on your homemade aioli-which will really impress your guests. You don’t have to tell them it took 30 seconds flat in the blender
Next time you’re ready to fire up the grill, swap your meat for a mushroom. Then don’t feel bad about having dessert!
- 4 large Portobello Mushroom Caps
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves-minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 freshly roasted red bell pepper (or 1 jar prepared)
- 4 fresh hamburger buns
- To make aioli: combine all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth (about 1 minute). Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make marinade: Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, herbs de provence, salt, and pepper in a blender. Emulsify (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Prepare mushrooms. Remove stems. Use the back of a spoon to remove gills as best you can. Place the mushrooms stem side up in a rectangular baking dish. Pour marinade over mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Grill mushrooms over medium high heat 5-8 minutes, until tender and very slightly charred. During the last minute of grilling, add cheese and let melt. Assemble burgers with aioli, avocado, red pepper, and onion.