Is your pesto the best-o???
It might be if you try this recipe!
Ahhh pesto. What can’t it do? Slather it on toast, toss it with pasta, add it to your sandwich, drizzle on a salad, marinate chicken, rub on grilled veggies, the possibilities are virtually endless! Much like the possibilities for pesto ingredients-you can toss a pretty broad variety of ingredients into your blender and still call it a pesto with much certainty. This pesto is very close to the “standard pesto” recipe (basil, pine, nuts, parmesan), but deviates just enough to make you go, “hmmm, that is different,” good different!!
Using almonds instead of pine nuts totally changes the taste of this pesto. It is decidedly more nutty and has a little more body than its traditional counterpart. I also added lemon to brighten and lighten the pesto because the almonds are heavier than pine nuts. The result? An eat-straight-out-of-the-blender home run!
Another great thing about pesto…it happens in a flash! Throw everything into a blender and in 30 seconds flat you’ve got yourself a perfect snack/appetizer/sauce/etc.
Also, this recipe is just as easy to make for 2 as it is for 20, so make it for your next shindig! You and your guests will revel in the nutty pesto-y goodness. Plus, its always better when everyone at the party has garlic breath, right???
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered or chopped
- ⅔ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to thin pesto
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine first four ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Process until finely chipped
- Add olive oil and process until smooth
- If necessary, add more olive oil until you reach your desired consistency
- Season with salt and pepper
- Process to combine